RefWorks Classic help: Reference list
Create a Bibliography from Records in RefWorks
There are many ways to format bibliographies using RefWorks. This is a simple method of formatting a bibliography from selected records directly within RefWorks. If you wish to use Refworks in combination with your word processor using footnotes, in-text citations and bibliographies click on the Write and Cite tab.
- Click Create Bibliography at the top of the screen.
- Select desired style from the Output Style drop-down menu. For information on customizing or creating a new output style see Customize a Style
- Click Format Bibliography from a List of References.
- Select desired format from the File Type drop-down menu.
- Select All References, My List, or Specifiy Folder and click the desired folder from the drop-down menu.
- Click Create Bibliography.
Note: If you choose HTML format the bibliography will display in a new browser window. You may then use your browsers File->Print or File->Save As functions.
If you selected any other format you will be prompted to save the bibliography with a file name.
RefWorks Classic help: Output Style Editor
Customizing Styles in RefWorks
RefWorks comes with hundreds of pre-defined output styles. If a style you need is not on the list, you may either create a new style or request that RefWorks make a new style. You may also modify any of the existing styles that come with RefWorks.
Editing an Existing Style
You might choose to do this when a style does not include certain fields of a record you would like included in the bibliography.
- Click Bibliography tab at the top of the screen.
- Click Output Style Editor.
- Select the style you wish to modify from the Output Style: drop-down menu.
- Click Save As and enter a new name for your edited style.
Example: My_USGS - United States Geological Survey
- Click View.
- Click Reference types for "[Default]".
- Select which reference type you want to define from the Reference Type:
Note: You must define each reference type you will be using, or the generic ref type will be used.
- You may change the order of existing fields or delete fields from the Output Fields box or add fields from the Fields For This Type box.
- Click Bibliography Settings and select any changes as desired.
- Click Update to preview the style.
- Click In-Text Citations tab and make changes as desired.
- Select desired choice from the Citation Settings.
- Select desired choice from Reference types for "[Default]".
- Click Update to preview the in-text citation.
- Click Save to make sure all of your changes have been saved.
Creating a New Style
- Click Bibliography.
- Click Output Style Editor.
- Click New. Creating a New Style is similar to the instructions above for editing a style.
Remember to define settings for either the Generic reference type or for each specific reference type you will be using in a bibliography. All styles not defined default to the Generic reference type.